Opening for the Season on October 1, 2019
FREE with Zoo Admission during regular hours. Our butterflies have flown and our flight house has gone through a “metamorphosis” transforming into a 1,000 sq ft. walk-through spiderhouse! Come view the intricate and beautiful webs these beneficial arachnids weave. Get an upclose look at vibrant spiders as you walk alongside them!
Want to upgrade your experience? Try our special guided spider tour during the “World’s Largest Halloween Party!” presented by Meijer — just $2 (cash only).
Monday – Wednesday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Thursday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (closes early to prepare for “The World’s Largest Halloween Party!” presented by Meijer.)
Reopens at 5 p.m. on Halloween party nights (special fee for guided tour)
Exhibit and all activities subject to the cooperation of animals, weather, and Zoo maintenance.
List of Species
Golden Garden Spider
Banded garden spider
Fun Spider Facts:
- Spiders are arachnids, not insects.
- Spiders have 8 legs while insects have 6.
- Spiders are found on every continent of the world except Antarctica.
- There are around 40,000 different species of spider.
- Most spiders make silk which they use to create spider webs and capture prey.
- Abandoned spider webs are called cobwebs.
More Creepy Crawlies!
Meet some special species who will be on display in the spider house for you to observe. Learn more about them below!
Blue Death-feigning Beetles
Madagascar Hissing Cockroach