The Louisville Zoo celebrated the birth of a male elephant calf on August 2, 2019 and invited guests and Zoo fans to submit their choices for a name. The elephant care staff then whittled down the 15,500+ submissions to three (3) names below, the finalists in the contest,
From now through midnight on Oct. 20, fans can vote by donating at the naming kiosk located near the elephant exhibit — or (NEW!) vote online using the voting buttons below. The name with highest amount of donations will be the calf’s new name. If you do not want to vote for a name, click the “Just Love Elephants” button to show your support.
We will announce the winner on our website and social media the week of Oct. 21 and share the total contributions made by fans to show your love of elephants.
All donations support the Zoo’s mission to “better the bond between people and our planet” by providing excellent care for animals, a memorable experience for visitors, and leadership in conservation education and action.
- There is no purchase necessary to enter or win the Louisville Zoo’s Elephant Naming Contest.
- Employees of the Louisville Zoo and Norton Healthcare Marketing Team (and their immediate family members) are not eligible to win the Elephant Naming Contest.
- Contest is open to legal residents of the United States of America. Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply and all taxes are the responsibility of the winner.
- There is no limit to the number of name ideas each individual may submit. However, each entry must be submitted separately.
- All name suggestions should be submitted via the Zoo’s website at LouisvilleZoo.org/mikki. Submission must include: Name idea, entrant’s full name (and parent or guardian if you are 17 or younger), daytime phone number and e-mail address. Submissions which fail to include any of the aforementioned required information will not be considered. All names submitted via the Zoo’s website must be received by 11:59 EST on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2019.
- Louisville Zoo will select three names as finalists for the Elephant Naming Contest from the submissions during the contest period Sept. 16 – 29, 2019. Finalists will be notified the week of Sept. 30. The public will then be invited to vote for the winning names by means of a kiosk placed at the Zoo’s elephant exhibit Oct. 7 – 20, 2019. Guests visiting the Zoo can vote by dropping coins or bills into a naming kiosk. Voting will also be available online by way of donations made to support a favorite name (credit cards only). The name with the highest total donations will be the winner and will be announced the week of Oct. 21. All proceeds from the naming contest will support the Zoo’s mission to “better the bond between people and our planet” by providing excellent care for animals, a great experience for visitors, and leadership in conservation education and action.
- In the event any winning name is submitted by more than one entrant, a random drawing of those entrants will determine the winner.
- The Louisville Zoo is not obligated to use any of the name submissions and may elect to create its own name for use, independent of the contest.
- Grand Prize: One grand prize will be awarded —a prize basket and fun items from the Zoo and Norton’s Children’s including a $10 Comfy Cow gift certificate and $100 gift certificate from great clips (value $310) and a behind-the-scenes tour (value $500) for up to 5 people. Tour will be coordinated by Zoo staff at a mutually agreed upon date and time. Prize cannot be exchanged for cash. Non-transferable.
- Finalists Prizes: Three persons who submit a finalist name will be awarded a prize basket containing items from Norton Children’s including a blanket, two (2) travel cups, an insulated cup and an umbrella. The basket will also include (1) Louisville Zoo plush elephant, (1) Louisville Zoo tote bag, plus (1) Louisville Zoo admission package including admission tickets, parking and all-day carousel rides for four persons. It will also include (1) $10 gift certificate from Comfy Cow. (Total value $210.)
- Contest entrants will not be compensated or reimbursed for their name submissions. All name entries become sole property of the Louisville Zoo. Not responsible for late and misdirected entries or entries provided outside of the official naming submission webpage.
- Elephant name judging and selection will be done by the Louisville Zoo.
- Winners of the contest prizes will be notified via email or phone no later than the week of Oct. 21 and must execute an affidavit of eligibility and waiver of liability release within 2 days of notification or an alternate winner will be selected. The winner’s name will be posted on the Zoo’s website/social channels following verification and acceptance.
- Contest entrants agree that, if their name submission is selected as a winner, the Louisville Zoo may use the entrant’s name and likeness for promotional purposes including, but not limited to, official press release announcing the names and Contest winners and official announcement on organizations’ websites and social channels.