CONTACT: Kyle Shepherd
Direct: 502-238-5331 | Media Only: 502-744-5639
The Louisville Zoo’s annual Flutter Fest event will be held virtually this year.
The public is invited to join the celebration on the Louisville Zoo Facebook page, facebook.com/louisvillezoo, September 19 from 3 to 4 p.m. The celebration will include butterfly videos, activities for families to enjoy at home, and live streaming of the Zoo’s release of 1,000 tagged monarch butterflies. The release coincides with the 1,600-mile annual monarch butterfly migration to Mexico.
Butterfly lovers and Zoo fans are also invited to join the celebration with a donation to receive butterfly-themed swag.
- For just $5, guests can become a “Butterfly Hero” and receive an e-certificate with a tag number to follow their butterfly on the journey to Mexico.
- For $25, guests can become a “Creature Crafter” and will receive all the benefits of the “Butterfly Hero” level plus a pre-bagged kit to complete three different pollinator-themed crafts at home.
- For $75, guests can “Adopt a Butterfly” and receive all the benefits of both prior levels plus one pair of child-sized butterfly wings.
- For $200, guests can become a “Pollinator Partner” and receive benefits of all three prior levels plus a butterfly-friendly plant with care instructions to provide space for butterflies at home.
- Those who donate $550 can become a guest of the Monarch Migration, receiving Zoo admission for up to five people to attend the onsite butterfly release in the Zoo’s Oasis field on Sept. 19 from 3 to 4 p.m., three sets of craft kits, three sets of butterfly wings, butterfly-friendly plant(s) and a virtual “Ask the Expert” session.
A portion of proceeds will be shared with our conservation ally, Monarch Watch. Those who choose to donate will be sent details by email on how to pick up their materials. Information about the full event including butterfly tracking, pollinator activities, butterfly-themed recipes and more is available at LouisvilleZoo.org/flutterfest.
Special thanks to our season sponsors Ford Motor Company and T-Mobile.
The Louisville Zoo, a non-profit organization and state zoo of Kentucky, is dedicated to bettering the bond between people and our planet by providing excellent care for animals, a great experience for visitors, and leadership in scientific research and conservation education. The Zoo is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).