Notable Zoo Events
- The Louisville Zoo opened on May 1, 1969, 7 days a week.
- 250 animals were on exhibit.
- Admission price was 50 cents for adults and 25 cents for children 5 – 14. Children under 5 were free.
- The Beatles’ last public performance occurs on the roof of Apple Records.
- Woodstock occurs with more than 350,000 rock-n-roll fans in attendance.
- Neil Armstrong and Edwin ‘Buzz’ Aldrin become the first humans to set foot on the moon.
by The Archies
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Directed by George Roy Hill
Want to share your memory of 1969 at the Louisville Zoo?
Be sure to tag #WeAreLouZoo and #LouZoo50 and make your post public!
Additional Support from these and other generous sponsors