- This event has passed.
Flutter Fest 2018
September 22, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Special Notice: The weather forecast for Flutter Fest is being monitored by the Zoo. Inclement weather may result in altered times for Flutter Fest activities and the monarch butterfly release. Please check back here for the the latest details and changes.
Flutter by the Zoo for a day of unique hands-on fun celebrating the annual Monarch Butterfly migration.
- Butterfly Tagging. Help us tag more than 1,000 butterflies (first come, while untagged butterflies last) and be amazed at the release during the festival. Tagging monarchs helps to track their migration and monitor their population. Some tagged in 2017 were located in Mexico, over 1,500 miles away!
- Craft and Activity Stations. Children of all ages can play games and make crafts while learning more about monarchs and their long journey.
- Education Stations. Visit stations to learn the importance of pollinators and what you can do to help them.
- Storytime plus Meet and Greet The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Hear the beloved tale of a particularly hungry caterpillar and stick around after storytime to meet The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- Butterfly Talks and Release. Join us at 2 p.m. as butterfly expert Blair Leano-Helvey gives a talk on the importance of pollinators like monarch butterflies. Then watch in wonder as the sky fills with beautiful butterflies during the release of over 1,000 tagged monarchs.
- Pollinator Parades. Wear your wings and join the fun! Kids can join our special pollinator parade following the butterfly release at 2 p.m. If you don’t have your own wings, our gift shop has butterfly wings available for purchase.
This spectacular event is brought to you in partnership with Louisville’s Idlewild Butterfly Farm. This release coincides with the annual migration of monarch butterflies.
To learn more about butterflies and our Butterflies n’ Blooms exhibit, click here!