Maned Wolf Pups Naming Contest
Voting Period: May 22 – June 4 (midnight), 2017
The Louisville Zoo invites you to help select a set of names for our maned wolf pups born on February 14, 2017.
Louisville Zoo keepers have proposed five (5) sets of names for you to choose from. The set of names with the highest total number of votes will be the winning set and will be announced the week of June 12, 2017. All voters who cast their votes for the winning set of names will be entered into a random drawing. One name will be drawn and will be the grand prize winner.
Proposed Sets of Names
Marcelle and Angela
Named after Louisville Zoo staff that have been heavily involved with important maned wolf conservation/education: retired longtime education director Marcelle Gianelloni and wolf keeper Angela Johnson.
Ginger and Ruby Rudy
Suggested namesake Ginger was for senior maned wolf keeper Ginger Eye at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, who shared her knowledge about maned wolves with our keeper staff. Ginger is also an orange/brown color like maned wolf coats. Ruby is derived from the Latin word rubeus meaning red — also like the coat of maned wolves. The name Rudy was chosen after the Louisville-based pet food company Rudy’s Greens that worked with keeper staff to formulate a special blend for the Zoo’s maned wolf diets.
Winona and Tahshah
Winona is Sioux for “firstborn daughter”; the Sioux are groups of Native American tribes and First Nations peoples in North America. Tahshah is Caddo for “wolf”; the Caddo Nation is a confederacy of several Southeastern Native American tribes.
Ramona and Beatrice
After the two sisters in the Beverly Cleary kids’ books, “Beezus and Ramona.”
Cora and Catina
Cora would be short for Coração, meaning “heart” in Portuguese. The pups were born on Valentine’s Day. Catina is a Portuguese name for girls, meaning “pure.”
Vote by completing and submitting the online form. (Details on other ways to submit name suggestions are in the Official Contest Rules below.) Only one vote for each unique email will be considered. No purchase necessary.
One Grand Prize
A memorable behind-the-scenes tour for up to 5 persons. Total retail value of prize package is $250. Prizes are non-transferable and cannot be exchanged for cash.
Maned Wolf Pups
Born: February 14, 2017
Sex: Both pups are female
Parents: Mom is Sadie. Dad is Rocko.
On Exhibit: Daily, weather permitting. Can change without notice due to health exams, training, exhibit maintenance, etc.
Official Contest Rules
The Louisville Zoo is inviting the public to vote on five (5) pre-selected sets of names for the maned wolf pups.
- There is no purchase necessary to enter or win the contest.
- Only one vote for each unique email will be considered.
- Votes can be made in one of three ways:
- Utilizing the Louisville Zoo’s website to vote: www.LouisvilleZoo.org/contest. To be eligible for the Grand Prize drawing, voters must provide: full name (and parent or guardian if 17 or younger), daytime phone number and e-mail address. Votes that fail to include any of the aforementioned required information will not be considered. All votes must be cast by midnight EST on Sunday, 6/4/17.
- Via U.S. postal service to:
Maned Wolf Pup Naming Contest
1100 Trevilian Way
PO Box 37250
Louisville KY 40233-7250
Mail-in votes must include all information listed in item 1. Voters who fail to include any of the aforementioned required information will not be considered. All mail-in submissions must be postmarked by 6/4/17.
- Votes also be dropped off at the Louisville Zoo’s administration building reception area on a postcard or letter provided by the voter. Drop-off votes must include all the information noted in item 1. Voters who fail to include any of the aforementioned required information will not be considered. All drop-off submissions must be received by 5 p.m. EST on 6/4/17.
- Process: All the votes will be counted to determine which set of names received the largest number of votes and will be used to name the wolf pups. Only one vote for each unique email will be considered. All voters who cast their votes for the winning set of names will be entered into a random drawing for the grand prize. One grand prize winner will be selected.
- Contest entrants will not be compensated or reimbursed for their votes. Not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected votes.
- Grand prize is a behind-the-scenes tour for up to five (5) persons at a time mutually agreed upon by winner and the Zoo. Total retail value of prize package is $250. Prize is non-transferable and cannot be exchanged for cash; no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Louisville Zoo’s sole discretion. Louisville Zoo reserves the right to substitute any prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable. Winner is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with the prize receipt and/or use.
- Winner of the contest will be notified via telephone and e-mail no later than 6/9/17 and must execute an affidavit of eligibility and waiver of liability release within 7 days of notification or an alternate winner will be selected. The winner’s name will be posted on the Zoo’s website following verification and acceptance.
- Contest winner agrees that the Louisville Zoo may use the winner’s name and likeness for promotional purposes including, but not limited to, official press release announcing the names and contest winner and official announcement on Zoo’s website.
- Contest is open to legal residents of the United States of America. Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply and all taxes are the responsibility of the winner.
- Employees (and their immediate family members) of the Louisville Zoo and members of the Zoo Foundation Board are not eligible to win the Wolf Pup Naming Contest.