The Louisville Zoo welcomed a male bongo calf in the early hours of Sunday, May 19 and invited guests and Zoo fans to submit their choice for names. The bongo staff then whittled down the nearly 2,000 submitted names to a final three names. You’ll notice a “Guardians of the Galaxy’ theme:
From June 14 – 23, guests can vote for their favorite name by dropping coins and bills into the Zoo’s naming kiosk to indicate their favorite name. All proceeds support the Zoo’s efforts to provide excellent care for animals and important conservation and education programs. The name with the highest total donations by June 23 will be the winning name. Announcements will be made on social media the week of June 24.
Bongo Calf Information
Born: May 19, 2019
Parents: Mom is Isabelle. Dad is Watson.
Breeding: This bongo birth was planned and is part of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums Species Survival Plan. Breeding plans work to improve the genetic diversity of managed animal populations.
On Exhibit: Daily, weather permitting. Can change without notice due to health exams, training, exhibit maintenance, weather, etc.
- There is no purchase necessary to enter or win the Louisville Zoo’s Bongo Naming Contest.
- Employees of the Louisville Zoo (and their immediate family members) and its supporting organizations and sponsors are not eligible to win the Bongo Naming Contest.
- Contest is open to legal residents of the United States of America. Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply and all taxes are the responsibility of the winner.
- There is no limit to the number of name ideas each individual may submit. However, each entry must be submitted separately.
- All submissions should be sent via the Zoo’s website at www.louisvillezoo.org/contest. Submission must include: Name idea, entrant’s full name (and parent or guardian if you are 17 or younger), daytime phone number and e-mail address. Submissions, which fail to include any of the aforementioned required information, will not be considered. All name submitted via the internet/email must be received by 11:59 EST on Sunday June 9, 2019.
- Louisville Zoo will select three names as finalists for the bongo from the submissions during the contest period June 3 – 9, 2019. Finalists will be notified the week of June 10. The public will then be invited to vote for the winning names by means of a kiosk placed in the Zoo’s plaza June 14 – 23, 2019. Votes can be placed by making a contribution via coins into the slot representing a favorite names. The name with the highest total donations will be the winner and will be announced the week of June 24. All proceeds support the Zoo’s efforts to provide excellent care for animals and important conservation education programs.
- The Louisville Zoo is not obligated to use any of the name submissions and may elect to create its own name for use independent of the contest.
- Grand Prize: One grand prize will be awarded behind-the-scenes tour (value $500) for up to 5 people. Tour will be coordinated by Zoo staff. Prize cannot be exchanged for cash.
- Contest entrants will not be compensated or reimbursed for their name submissions. All name entries become sole property of the Louisville Zoo. Not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected entries.
- Bongo name judging and selection will be done by the Louisville Zoo.
- Winners of the Contest prizes will be notified via telephone and mail no later than June 25 and must execute an affidavit of eligibility and waiver of liability release within 2 days of notification or an alternate winner will be selected. The winner’s name will be posted on the Zoo’s website/social channels following verification and acceptance.
- Contest entrants agree that, if their name submission is selected as a winner, the Louisville Zoo may use the entrant’s name and likeness for promotional purposes including, but not limited to, official press release announcing the names and Contest winners and official announcement on organizations’ websites and social channels.
- In the event any winning name is submitted by more than one entrant, a random drawing of the duplicates will determine the winner.