Commonly found in parts of southeast Asia (Nepal, southern India, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam), Indonesia, Malaysia and Philippines.
Reside primarily in tropical forests, woodlands and mangroves.
Length: 9-11 inches
- Can live singly, in pairs or in small groups.
- Males perform a “bobbing” dance during courtship.
- Builds scant stick nests in trees.
- Lays 2 cream-colored eggs.
Wild: Fruit, seeds and plants.
Grey-capped emerald doves are primarily terrestrial and known to be fairly tame. They have a distinctive coo that they emit 6-7 times in a row.
POINTS OF INTEREST
- Goes by various names including the common emerald dove and the Asian emerald dove.
- Although they don’t fly often, they are known to be exceptional weavers when flying through forests.