Picea abies ‘Cupressina’
Native of Northern and Central Europe
Prefers full sun in average to evenly moist soil conditions, but does not tolerate wet soils. Not really particular about pH of the soil and deals well with environmental salts such as near sea coasts.
As the name implies this tree has a columnar growth pattern, reaching a mature height of about 20 ft. and a spread of about 10 ft. Relatively fast growing tree at about 8 to 10 inches per year. Branches sweep upward.
Points of Interest
- A popular landscape tree, these spruce can be expected to live about 50 years.
- Highly tolerate of urban pollution and grows well in inner city environments.
- Deer do not like this particular plant, so is good landscape tree in areas where deer frequent.
- Unlike many evergreens, tends to hold shape after heavy snowfall.
- Prefers moist, well drained soils.
- Cones are about 4 to 6 inches long, 2 inches wide and pendulous. Young cones are purplish green and mature to a light brown.