Native to China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan
This fast growing tree prefers sun in areas with moist soils. Ideally it prefers to grow next to a stream or pond. Grows in a variety of soils including sand, loam and clay and is tolerant of compacted soils once established and mature. Highly tolerant of wind and drought.
Reaching a height of 40 to 70 ft., this fast growing tree achieves a spread almost equal to its height. This gives the tree an overall rounded appearance. The growth rate which is described as phenomenal is reflected in the fact that a 6 year old tree can reach a height of 25 ft. and be 14 inches in trunk diameter. Fully mature trees reach at least 8 ft. in diameter. Root systems are aggressive and grow across the surface of the ground.
Points of Interest
- Leaves are 6 to 12 inches long composed of finely-toothed, oval leaflets.
- Seed clusters up to 12 inches long form green strings of winged seeds suspended below the branches.
- Not very attractive to wildlife and can be a messy tree in the lawn area.
- Often used as a street or shade tree but roots are not compatible in maintaining a lawn or garden.
- It is suggested that it should not be planted within 10 feet of any sidewalk or driveway.