Know Before You Go
We ask that for the safety of the animals and visitors, guests abide by our rules and safety guidelines:
- Children under 11 must be supervised.
- Intoxication. If you see a visitor that appears to be drunk or on drugs causing a disturbance of any sort or threatening to harm an animal or guest, please contact a Zoo staff member for assistance. The Zoo reserves the right to refuse admittance to such persons and to request them to leave.
- Smoking (tobacco and e-cigarettes) is prohibited throughout the Zoo. There are three designated outdoor smoking areas: back deck at African Outpost, back deck at Island's Cafe and between Guanaco and Macaw exhibits. Look for Banners that identify these areas. We appreciate your cooperation.
- We ask that visitors stay on walkways, except for in picnic areas. If you see a guest walking off walkways, standing or climbing on exhibit barriers, shouting at or teasing animals, throwing objects into exhibits or littering the Zoo grounds, please contact a Zoo staff member.
- No pets are allowed at the Zoo except for seeing-eye dogs and assist dogs. Persons entering the Zoo with those types of dogs need to notify the cashier or ticket taker before they enter.
- Balloons, bicycles, skateboards, skates, Heely skate shoes, glass containers or other items that could injure animals or people are not allowed on Zoo grounds.
- Visitors may have radios in public places if they keep them at a low volume.
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed to be brought on Zoo grounds by guests. Only licensed caterers with written permission may serve alcoholic beverages.
- Feeding animals is prohibited throughout the Zoo! This is to ensure the health and safety of the animals. If you see a guest feeding an animal, please contact a Zoo staff member.
- If you ever see a person in immediate danger, contact Zoo staff immediately. DO NOT TAKE RISKS IN ANIMAL EXHIBITS. Never attempt a rescue when dangerous animals are involved. Keep your eye on the person and call for assistance. Do not call 911 as the Zoo staff is trained to provide critical information to emergency personnel. Call the Zoo Receptionist 502-459-2181 ext. 0.
- Distribution and or sale of literature, goods and services are strictly regulated. Any such activity can only take place if approved by, and with prior arrangements in writing, from the Louisville Zoo Public Relations Department.
- For your safety and to help preserve the valuable plant and tree collection, please do not pick any plants or leaves.