Please note: The Louisville Zoo changed to 50% reciprocal in 2014, which is the same level offered by Columbus Zoo, Cincinnati Zoo and Nashville Zoo. Please check the new AZA-reciprocal zoo link below for a list of reciprocal zoos and aquariums.
One of the benefits of becoming a member of a local zoo or aquarium is free or discounted admission to the other AZA member zoos and aquariums that participate in the Reciprocal Admissions Program. These guidelines will help you understand how the reciprocal program works. The link at the bottom of the page will take you to the list of reciprocal zoos and aquariums.
- The zoos and aquariums that have 50% by their names offer a 50% discount to all the zoos and aquariums on this list.
- The zoos and aquariums that have 100% & 50% by their names offer free admission to all the other zoos and aquariums with 100% & 50% by their names and those that are FREE TO THE PUBLIC; they offer a 50% discount to those zoos and aquariums that have 50% by their names.
- The zoos and aquariums that have FREE TO THE PUBLIC by their names participate in the program by offering other discounts such as a percentage off on merchandise sold in the gift shop.
- Participation in this program is for the entire 2015 calendar year, and cannot be rescinded or changed during that calendar year. Institutions are occasionally added during the year and the lists will be current on the AZA website. It is always wise for the visitors to call ahead.
- Reciprocal admission is not limited to a certain number of visits.
- Parking at the Louisville Zoo is not included with a reciprocal membership. Visitors will have to pay a $5 per vehicle parking fee.
- The number of visitors admitted with a family membership may vary depending on the zoo or aquarium visited.
- Participating AZA accredited institutions located in close geographic proximity to each other (distance determined by the participating institution) are not required to offer free or discounted admission to each other’s members in order to participate in the Reciprocal Admissions Programs, although they may offer an alternative discount. It is the obligation of each institution to notify any specific institution(s) that an exception to this program is necessary. Should you have any questions about an institutions’ participation due to location, please contact them directly. Institutions currently participating in the program are listed on AZA’s website at aza.org/reciprocity. The AZA reciprocity list is different than the AZA Free and Discounted Admissions list, which lists institutions that provide free or discounted admissions to AZA individual and commercial members.
- Reciprocity applies only for admission to the main facility on normal operating days/hours and may exclude exhibits or events requiring an additional fee. Each AZA reciprocal institution should publish a statement instructing their members that other institutions may treat their membership categories, parking fees, guest privileges, and gift shop discounts differently.
- When visiting a participating institution, members will be required to show proof of zoo or aquarium membership.
- AZA does not and cannot arbitrate or mediate reciprocity disputes between members. We ask participating members to please work out any issues between themselves.
Click here for the official AZA Reciprocal List.