Amazement, wonder and delight are exactly what you'll experience when you visit our newest exhibit, Lorikeet Landing at Rainbow Springs.
Enjoy a real nose-to-beak experience as you stroll through this beautiful aviary, surrounded by brilliantly colored, friendly birds that will eat nectar right out of your hand! Nectar may be purchased at the exhibit for $2 per cup.
Lorikeet Landing at Rainbow Springs is located in the Australian Area (next to the Papa John's Splash Park)
We thought you might like to know a bit about these colorful and gregarious birds before you meet them.
- Range: Tropical islands and nations such as Indonesia, Polynesia, Australia and Papua New Guinea.
- Habitat: Most live in the canopy of dense rainforests or at the edge of wooded areas near open savannahs. Some live in mountainous regions.
Wild: nectar, pollen, fruits and flowers. /
Nectar mix (in powder form and then mixed with water), a lot
of fruit, some vegetables, sometimes cooked brown rice and
- Lories will hang upside down for hours at a time.
- They sometimes sleep on their backs with their feet straight up in the air.
- They must bathe frequently in order to properly maintain their plumage.
- Most Lories can and will talk.
At least 13 species are endangered or vulnerable, particularly those
found only on small islands. Causes of endangerment include habitat
destruction for logging and agriculture, introduction of exotic species
such as rats, domestic cats and dogs, mongoose and mosquitoes,
accidental introduction of exotic diseases, such as avian malaria, and
trapping for pet bird trade.
Lorikeet Landing will be open daily when the temperature is 50° or above unless we are experiencing thunderstorms.